Latest snapshot of the coronavirus impact
LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS
* Australia has reached a significant milestone, with 70 per cent of people aged 16 fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
* Aged care residents are expected to start receiving third jabs from the second week of November if the government's key advisory bodies approve the move.
* Victorian authorities say there is "no wriggle room" in requiring hospitality workers to be fully vaccinated when pubs, cafes and restaurants reopen on Friday.
* Vaccine mandates have also been imposed in the ACT for disability support workers and in-home and community aged care workers, who will need to have both doses by November 29, and in the NT for any worker who interacts with the public, by December 24.
* WA has released a three-step plan to mandate vaccination for most workers by January 31, 2021. It comes after Premier Mark McGowan dashed any hopes WA would reopen its borders for Christmas.
* South Australia's plan to ease border restrictions and local COVID-19 measures when vaccine targets are reached is close to being finalised, while Queensland will look at scrapping quarantine for international travellers from green zones, after it reopened to flights from New Zealand's South Island.
* Every adult in NSW will get a $50 voucher to spend on a hotel in the state, as part of a broader package designed to give the tourism industry a boost after months of lockdown.
* Immigration Minister Alex Hawke says tennis players will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to take part in the Australian Open, casting further doubt on whether men's world No.1 Novak Djokovic will participate in the grand slam event.
AUSTRALIAN VACCINATION NUMBERS
* There have been 33,212,170 doses administered in the national COVID-19 vaccination rollout up to midnight on Tuesday, including 277,872 in the previous 24 hours.
* Of the total, 19,429,665 have been administered by the Commonwealth (an increase of 182,440 in the previous 24 hours).
* 18,341,482 have been issued in primary care (+179,306) and 1,088,183 in aged and disability facilities (+3134).
* 13,782,505 have been administered by the states and territories, including 95,432 in the previous 24 hours.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Australia reported 2148 local cases on Tuesday: 1841 in Victoria, 283 in NSW, 24 in the ACT.
*Victoria and Queensland reported one new overseas-acquired case each.
* The national death toll is 1577: Victoria 993, NSW 542, Tasmania 13, ACT 9, WA 9, Queensland 7 and SA 4. Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states.
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 241,559,200
* Deaths: at least 4,913,300
* Vaccine doses administered: at least 6,674,068,600
Data current as at 1700 AEDT on October 20, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails