Schoolgirl rapist Mohammed Skaf to be released from jail in October
A notorious gang rapist jailed for 22 years over a series of “horrendous” attacks on women and girls will be released from prison in just weeks.
Mohammed Skaf was just 17 when he and a group of young men, led by his older brother Bilal Skaf, sexually assaulted several women across the city in the lead up to the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
The State Parole Authority (SPA) confirmed he would be released from prison between October 1 and 8.
He will be subject to some of the strictest parole conditions in the state, such as 24/7 electronic monitoring.
Skaf will also have to comply with ongoing psychological intervention, he is not allowed to contact his victims or co-offenders and is not allowed in the Liverpool, Fairfield, Blacktown and Parramatta LGAs.
He must also comply with the conditions and requirements of the Child Protection Register.
Any breach of conditions will result in Skaf returning to prison.
“Freeing Skaf at the end of his full 23-year sentence without extensive monitoring and conditions, would pose an unacceptable risk,” SPA said in a statement.
“The Authority acknowledges the distress the parole decision may cause his victims and the wider community.
“Careful consideration has been given to the difficult task of reintegrating him into the community.”
Skaf is now 38 and had spent the majority of his adult life in prison. He first became eligible for parole in 2018 but was denied on three occasions.
Last month the State Parole Authority heard there was now little choice left for the board as the end of Skaf’s sentence loomed.
Granting parole was the only option because reintegrating Skaf into society via ‘external leave’ like to work or for community service was not possible due to the Covid outbreak, Judge David Frearson said.
But he had to undertake a rehabilitation course before he could be allowed parole.
Skaf spoke to Judge Frearson on August 27 after he was told he needed to be “very, very careful” and to “stay out of trouble”.
“Of course. Thank you, Your Honour,” Skaf replied.
Skaf has repeatedly denied responsibility and blamed his victims for the series of rapes that shocked the country.
He was initially handed a 31-year jail term, but his sentence was slashed to 22 years, 11 months and 30 days on appeal.
His jail term is set to expire on January 1, 2024.
Skaf has spent two decades behind bars, during which he has battled Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
Originally published as Schoolgirl rapist Mohammed Skaf to be released from jail in October
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails