Skeleton weed hunt delayed

Countryman

Wet summer conditions have delayed this season's skeleton weed search across the Wheatbelt.

Department of Agriculture and Food acting manager for Merredin David Atkins said the completion date for the search had been extended from the usual January 31 deadline by two weeks.

"The harvest delays due to the wet weather have, in turn, impacted on when growers can finalise paddock checks for skeleton weed," Mr Atkins said.

Growers are legally required to submit skeleton weed search records to their local department biosecurity officer by February 15.

Growers are also reminded of the need to monitor their infested paddocks over summer to check for missed or recovering plants and treat them to prevent seed set.

Read more...

The late rains should make weeds easier to spot. "As with previous seasons when we get summer rains, reports of skeleton weed generally increase due to increased growth, which makes the plants more visible," Mr Atkins said.

Growers intending to claim for search assistance need to lodge claims by post with the department's Merredin office by March 31.

The State's skeleton weed program is funded through industry and overseen by the Grains, Seed and Hay Industry Management Committee.

"Before this season's search program, which began in mid-November, 848 properties had known skeleton weed infestations," Mr Atkins said.

By the end of December 2011, 23 additional properties had been reported with skeleton weed infestations as a result searches by individual growers or by department officers.

The department's Merredin office postal address is PO Box 432, Merredin 6415.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails