Home

Supporters storm out of SCG ahead of Sydney Swans AFL clash, in aftermath of allegations of sexual assault

Zosia MelanczukThe Nightly
Empty seats were seen in the member's section at the SGC, with empty stands seen across the stadium.
Camera IconEmpty seats were seen in the member's section at the SGC, with empty stands seen across the stadium. Credit: supplied

What would have usually been a sell-out crowd was in turn a visibly half empty SCG on Sunday afternoon, as Swans supporters vacated the stadium ahead of the men’s team clash against North Melbourne.

A record crowd of 16,672 Sydney’s AFLW fans had poured into the stadium earlier in the afternoon to watch the Swans’ women’s team triumph over Essendon.

But when that game came to an end, crowds were seen emptying out of stands in droves, with the men’s team set to take on the Kangaroos in the same stadium shortly afterwards.

Earlier on Sunday, there had been reports that Swans supporters would boycott the game following a catastrophic week for the club after allegations of sexual assault came to light.

Journalist Lachlan McKirdy, who was on the ground outside the stadium, posted a video to X showing “a steady stream of fans” leaving the SCG.

The Game AFL Finals 2026

The unprecedented women’s and men’s double-header comes after a turbulent week for the club, with Isaac Heeney, Nick Blakey, Chad Warner, Riley Bice and James Jordon stood down for the remainder of the season over breaches of club standards.

A separate police investigation into an alleged sexual assault is also continuing. Police have not made any arrests or laid charges.

This masthead is not suggesting the players are guilty of any wrongdoing, just that they are assisting police with enquiries.

The scandal left supporters divided over whether they could bring themselves to stay for the men’s final home game of the regular season.

Swans fan Hannah attended both matches, but said she was disappointed that the team had not taken the opportunity to apologise to fans, particularly when the club’s run-through banner was brought out ahead of the game.

She told The Nightly: “This would have been the perfect opportunity to say sorry to the fans and promote women’s safety, and they just left it blank.”

A blank run out sign was brought out ahead of the men's clash against the Kangaroos.
Camera IconA blank run out sign was brought out ahead of the men's clash against the Kangaroos. Credit: supplied

While there were no jeers heard coming from the crowd, cheers for the team were notably muted – a reflection of the smaller than usual turnout.

Ahead of the opening bounce, Swans great Gerard Healy was pressed for his take on the situation.

“It’s been one of the tougher weeks, both for the Swans and for footy,” Healy, who played 81 games for Sydney between 1986 and 1990, told Fox Footy.

“You run through a gamut of emotions: initially, just total disbelief, and then concern for the alleged victims, and then, really, anger set in.”

On Saturday the Sydney Swans issued a fresh statement after Victoria Police confirmed a number of people have been spoken to as part of its investigation into the hotel incident.

Police added the investigation remained “active and ongoing” and they would not provide further details about the specific circumstances of the matter, movements of detectives or any statements or interviews taken.

In response to the statement, the club said: “The Sydney Swans supports the action taken by Victoria Police in releasing today’s statement regarding the investigation.

“The Sydney Swans categorically confirms that no member of staff is involved in the investigation. This includes being in the hotel room central to the police investigation.

“The club reiterates that no player has been interviewed by police at this stage.”

1800 RESPECT: 1800 737 732

National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service: 1800 211 028

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails