Promotion for Isaac Heeney’s children’s book series has disappeared from Allen & Unwin’s Instagram grid amid a sexual assault investigation engulfing the Sydney Swans.
Heeney’s Little Isaac Footy Fever series was released on August 4, and had been promoted by the publisher, with posts about the books appearing on its social media channels.
But following the latest developments involving Heeney and four of his Sydney Swans teammates, promotion for the books appears to have been removed from Allen & Unwin’s main Instagram grid.
The promotional material remains available in the publisher’s Reels tab, however comments have been switched off on the video promoting the series.
Allen & Unwin has now confirmed it has paused promotion of Heeney’s two existing books, as well as publication of his third book, while the police investigation is under way.
In a statement to The Nightly, the publisher said it was “aware of reports relating to Isaac Heeney and a Victoria Police investigation and that his employer has exercised sanctions under club policy and his terms of employment”.
“We view this matter seriously and believe that the women involved deserve respect and support,” Allen & Unwin said.
“We have paused promotion of his two books and the publication of his third book, while the police investigation is under way.”
The publisher said it was unable to comment further while the matter remained in the hands of police.
While Readings and Gleebooks have told the ABC they are removing Heeney’s books from stores companywide.
Booktopia said it was working closely with the publisher over its plans and would continue to assess the situation, acknowledging the sensitivity surrounding the matter.
Other major retailers stocking the series include Dymocks and BIG W. BIG W has now confirmed it is also pausing sales of the Little Isaac Footy Fever books in its stores and online, pending the outcome of the matter.
“BIG W regularly reviews its range of products to ensure it aligns with our values and community expectations,” a spokesperson told The Nightly.
“We have decided to pause all sales of Little Isaac Footy Fever books in our stores and online, pending the outcome of this matter.”
The move comes after the Swans suspended Heeney, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey, James Jordon and Riley Bice for the remainder of the AFL season.
The club has stressed the suspensions are separate to a sexual assault investigation being conducted by Victoria Police, with the five players assisting police with enquiries.
This masthead is not suggesting Heeney or any of the other players have been found guilty of any wrongdoing.
Heeney’s book series, Little Isaac Footy Fever, was released earlier this year and follows a young version of the Swans star through football-themed adventures.
The 29-year-old had been actively promoting the books, including appearing at Dymocks to sign copies in recent weeks, with that video still on Heeney’s Instagram grid.
Seven weeks ago, Heeney posted an image of himself holding two of his book’s and captioned the photo “LITTLE ISAAC 📚”.“Super excited to share my new kids book series. First Bounce and Game On are out on 4 August and available to pre-order now via the link in my bio. You’ll also see a sneak peek at what’s coming in November,” he said.
Allen & Unwin’s statement indicates the planned November publication of the third book has now been put on hold.
It comes as the publisher joins a growing number of businesses taking action around Heeney’s books following the developments involving the Swans players.
Sydney chairman Andrew Pridham said on Wednesday the players were “extremely remorseful for their actions” and had breached the club’s standards.
Swans chief executive Matthew Pavlich said the club was “deeply embarrassed and ashamed at the poor choices” made by the five players.
He said the behaviour involved in their decision to suspend five players included staying out late, drinking, continuing their night and bringing women back to the team’s hotel.
“It was staying out late, it was drinking, it was continuing their night, it was bringing women back to the hotel.
“It was a long way short of what we expect of our players,” he said.
“We’re holding them to a really high standard, but they were well short of anywhere near that standard.”
Pridham said the club’s decision to suspend the players for the rest of the season was a “very significant sanction” and effectively “torpedoed our season”.
The five players will still be permitted to attend the football club while serving their bans.
Comments have also been disabled across recent Instagram posts on Heeney’s account and that of his fiancée, Steffianie Waters, amid the fallout.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails