Home

More bin closures revealed

Headshot of Jenne Brammer
Jenne BrammerCountryman
The West logo

CBH meetings continued throughout the Mid-West last week where its $750 million network optimisation strategy was unveiled to growers.

Among bins not identified on the 100 bins of the future were Buntine, Three Springs, Bowgada, Bunjil and Maya. Last weekCountryman reported Pindar was also omitted.

Marchagee farmer Michael O’Callaghan attended the Coorow and Perenjori meetings and noted the Buntine site, which had hardly been used in the past five years, and Three Springs, which in recent years received only GM canola, were not on the list of 100 bins of the future.

Mr O’Callaghan said the bins he carted to, namely Marchagee and Carnamah, would remain open under CBH’s network optimisation program.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.

READ NOW

However he said growers in this area had already been working in a new CBH network strategy. For example barley now goes to Moora 85km away, canola goes the 88km trip to Three Springs 88km, lupins to Carnamah 70km away and Marchagee is a wheat only site.

“Our delivery wagon wheel is already impressive in terms of kilometres travelled,” he said.

“Bin rationalisation has to happen and this seems a fair result to me,” he said.

“When we are told that 92 per cent of the grain is received by the 100 sites chosen for the future, then it is obvious that the remaining list of sites that receive 8 per cent need to be condensed.”

He said growers had been calling for this for a long time.

“I expect'''' 98 per cent of growers would support this program,” he said.

“CBH Operations has a resilient network strategy that will store and deliver grain efficiently and timely for growers and buyers. Growers can be confident that from season to season marketers will pursue grain from WA because of the reliable system that CBH will ensure is available for members.”

CBH MEETINGS

KOORDA RECREATION CENTRE

Thursday, 31 March 2016 @ 9am

MUKINBUDIN RECREATION CENTRE

Thursday, 31 March 2016 @ 1pm

MERREDIN RECREATION CENTRE

Friday, 1 April 2016 @ 9am

CUNDERDIN RECREATION CENTRE

Friday, 1 April 2016 @ 1:30pm

RAVENSTHORPE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Friday, 1 April @ 10:30am

ESPERANCE - PORTS FOOTBAL CLUB ROOMS*

Friday, 1 April 2016 @ 3:30pm

QUAIRADING TOWN HALL

Thursday, 7 April @ 9:30am

NAREMBEEN RECREATION CENTRE

Thursday, 7 April @ 2pm

HYDEN SPORTS CLUB

Friday, 8 April 2016 @ 8am

BROOKTON RECREATION CENTRE

Friday, 8 April 2016 @ 1:30pm

WICKEPIN COMMUNITY CENTRE

Tuesday, 12 April 2016 @ 11am

WAGIN, ERIC FARROW PAVILION

Tuesday, 12 April 2016 @ 4pm

CRANBROOK SPORTING CLUB

Wednesday, 13 April 2016 @ 9am

JERRAMUNGUP SPORTS CLUB

Wednesday, 13 April 2016 @ 2pm

NEWDEGATE SHOWGROUNDS,

CBH Shed Thursday, 14 April 2016 @ 9am

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails