Collingwood star Jordan De Goey has indecent assault charge from 2015 withdrawn
AFL star Jordan De Goey has had his indecent assault charge withdrawn over allegations of an incident in Melbourne six years ago.
De Goey, 25, was due to face Melbourne Magistrates Court on Monday with friend and co-accused Jake Edginton for a contest hearing about the alleged incident in Kew in 2015.
But both men had their charges struck out in the brief hearing, in which the Collingwood player appeared via video link wearing a black face mask and suit.
- Serong on the ‘damning’ stat that undid Freo’s midfield
- ‘I was so young’: Why 2018 flag is so ‘special’ for Venables
- Walker’s racist slur nothing short of staggering
His barrister Dermot Dann said it was a “successful outcome”, with Victoria Police agreeing to pay $15,000 in legal costs to De Goey and $6300 to Mr Edginton.
Victoria Police will have until November 9 to pay costs to both men.
De Goey was investigated by the AFL integrity unit and Victoria Police in 2018 over the allegations from when he was 19, but charges were not laid until July 2020.
Earlier this year, De Goey also faced court over a string of unrelated driving and road offences for which his lawyer said he would plead guilty.
The charges are for driving while suspended and using a phone while behind the wheel on Punt Road in Melbourne in July 2019 and failing to wear a helmet or display his P-plates while riding a motorbike on Alexandra Avenue in February 2020.
The withdrawal of his indecent assault charge comes after De Goey collected 28 disposals, six marks and two tackles in Collingwood’s 19-point loss to Hawthorn at a crowd-less MCG on Sunday.
De Goey has played 116 games for the Magpies since debuting in 2015, kicking 153 goals.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails