Former prince Andrew arrested on misconduct allegations

UK police have arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Thames Valley Police, an agency that covers areas west of London, including Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, said it was “assessing” reports that the former prince sent confidential government trade reports to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010.
The assessment followed the release of millions of pages of documents connected to a US investigation of Epstein.
Mountbatten-Windsor features a number of times in the documents.
The police force on Thursday did not name Mountbatten-Windsor, as is usual under UK law.
WA's biggest courts and crime stories to your inbox
Sign-up to our weekly newsletter for free
Sign upBut when asked if he had been arrested, the force pointed to a statement saying they had arrested a man in his 60s.
Mountbatten-Windsor, whose birthday is on Thursday, is 66.
“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,’‘ the statement said.
“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
Images circulated online on Thursday that appeared to show unmarked police cars at Mountbatten-Windsor’s home, Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plain-clothes officers appearing to gather outside.
King Charles III, Mountbatten-Windsor’s brother, said in a written statement: “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.
“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.
“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.
“As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.
“Charles R.”
Andrew is the first senior British royal in modern history to be arrested.
Mountbatten-Windsor, the second son of the late Queen Elizabeth, has always denied any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein, and said he regretted their friendship.
But he has not responded to requests for comment since the latest release of documents.
Charles stripped Andrew of his royal titles, including the right to be called a prince, in October 2025 as he tried to insulate the monarchy from the continuing revelations about his younger brother’s relationship with Epstein.
Those revelations have tarnished the royal family for more than a decade.
Mountbatten-Windsor had been reported to police by the anti-monarchy campaign group Republic following the release of more than three million pages of documents relating to Epstein, who was convicted of soliciting prostitution from a minor in 2008.
Those files suggested Mountbatten-Windsor had in 2010 forwarded to Epstein reports about Vietnam, Singapore and other places he had visited on official trips.
“This is the most spectacular fall from grace for a member of the royal family in modern times,” said Craig Prescott, a royal expert at Royal Holloway, University of London.
Policing commentator Danny Shaw told the BBC that in most cases, suspects are held between 12 and 24 hours and are then either charged or released pending further investigation.
The absolute longest the former prince can be held for is 96 hours — but this would require multiple extensions from senior police officers and a Magistrate’s Court. It is unclear what time Andrew was arrested.
Andrew will be placed in “a cell in a custody suite” with just “a bed and a toilet,” where he will wait until his police interview.
“There’ll be no special treatment for him,” Shaw said.
with Reuters and PA
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails