Royal family: Prince Philip, 99, transferred to another London hospital for further tests

The West Australian
Prince Philip has been transferred to another London hospital to continue treatment for an infection and undergo testing for a heart condition.
Camera IconPrince Philip has been transferred to another London hospital to continue treatment for an infection and undergo testing for a heart condition.

Prince Philip has been transferred to another London hospital to continue treatment for an infection and undergo testing for a heart condition.

An ambulance carrying the Duke of Edinburgh, 99, was seen leaving King Edward VII hospital on Monday morning (local time).

Buckingham Palace has confirmed he was being transferred to St Bartholomew's Hospital.

“The Duke of Edinburgh was today transferred from King Edward VII's Hospital to St Bartholomew's Hospital where doctors will continue to treat him for an infection, as well as undertake testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition,” the statement said.

It comes after it was revealed that Prince Philip would have asked Prince Charles to attend his hospital bedside last week so they could discuss the “future of the royal family”.

The Queen’s former press secretary Dickie Arbiter said that the Duke of Edinburgh would have “requested” his eldest son’s presence at the King Edward VII Hospital in London.

Prince Charles was seen driving away from the hospital after his visit with “tears in his eyes”.

Mr Arbiter, who was the Queen’s press secretary from 1988 to 2000, said that Prince Philip was probably worried about the future of the royal family.

“I think it was at the request of the Duke that the Prince of Wales visited to lay the ground — look, the man is 99, he is in with an infection,” Mr Arbiter said.

“My guess is that he will come out, he will walk out and he will go back to Windsor.

“But eventually he is going to die and he was just saying to Charles, ‘One day you are going to be the leading man of the family’.”

Prince Philip was admitted to hospital on February 16 and this has become his longest stay.

The Queen, 94, is “distraught” over her husband’s continued stay in hospital, which came during a challenging time.

“It’s been a rough few weeks for the Queen, that’s for sure,” a source said.

“The situation with Harry and Meghan has been challenging, and on top of that she’s distraught over her beloved husband’s health setback.”

Another insider added: “The Queen has had some tearful moments mixed with anger and disappointment. Emotions are definitely running high.”

However, Prince William and Prince Edward, the duke’s youngest son, last week moved to calm fears about Prince Philip’s condition.

There are celebrations planned for Prince Philip’s 100th birthday on June 10, with Prince Harry now likely to visit from California.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails