Coronavirus Australia: NSW man in 20s dies from COVID as state records 233 cases
The COVID-19 death of a Sydney man in his 20s has prompted authorities to renew appeals to young people to get vaccinated as soon as possible.
The sudden death of the unvaccinated man in his southwest Sydney home will be referred to the NSW coroner.
The Daily Telegraph reported the man was a 27-year-old forklift driver Aude Alaskar, who collapsed in the Liverpool unit he shared with his wife on Tuesday and was unable to be revived by paramedics.
His death comes a year after that of a Victorian man in his 20s who was reported to be Australia’s youngest COVID-19 fatality.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the man’s death “demonstrates again how this disease is lethal, how it affects people of all ages”.
Health Minister Brad Hazzard said the tragedy should prompt people 18 and over to consult their GP or pharmacist about whether to get the AstraZeneca vaccine.
“Go and get it,” he said on Wednesday.
“Sadly we just heard one young person, in his 20s, has passed away which I think emphasises what we have been saying now for quite some time about two-thirds of all of our cases are currently under 40 years.
“It’s a very serious issue.”
Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant said the man had reached day 13 of his isolation period at his home after testing positive to the virus.
“He was being checked daily, and he did complain of feeling a little fatigued, but the deterioration happened suddenly,” she said.
“With COVID you can get sudden deaths,” she said.
His wife, who reportedly works in an aged care home, had also tested positive and was now being treated in hospital.
A woman aged in her 80s also died in hospital on Tuesday.
Of the new cases, at least 68 were in the community for part (21) or all (47) of their infectious period.
The isolation status of another 73 cases is currently unknown, while 130 cases are yet to be linked to a known cluster.
The cases, reported in the 24 hours to 8pm on Tuesday, mean 1489 cases have been recorded in a week.
Meanwhile, a Centrelink, several post offices and 50 supermarkets are among more than 170 venues listed overnight as COVID-19 exposure locations by NSW Health.
The additions, involving 275 different visits by positive cases, were so extensive that the health authority unusually did not list each one in a media release or on social media overnight.
Some listings are for locations visited more than 14 days ago on July 19 while positive cases visited a Parramatta Centrelink four times over nine days.
Nearly 40 venues are Woolworths, extending from Brookvale in Sydney’s north to Wollongong’s Figtree.
NSW Health on Tuesday urged people to check its case location list regularly.
Meanwhile, residents of an apartment block in Campbelltown are reportedly in a severe lockdown after several residents were infected with COVID-19.
It’s the third unit complex to be locked down during the Sydney outbreak because of the virus, following similar action at other premises at Blacktown in Sydney’s west and Bondi Junction in the east.
SA REPORTS ONE NEW CASE IN VIRUS CLUSTER
South Australia has reported one new COVID-19 case linked to a local cluster but the person has been in quarantine and is not considered a threat to the wider community.
The case was revealed on Wednesday, more than two weeks after the outbreak first emerged and takes the number linked to the cluster to 22.
Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said the positive test involved a man in his 20s who was the family member of a previously confirmed infection.
His confirmed infection came after a relatively long incubation period.
“This is a demonstration of how the virus can be quite different in different people. This person didn’t have any symptoms,” Professor Spurrier said.
“But he had been completing his quarantine at home. There’s no reason to suspect there’s been any exposure.”
He has now been moved into Adelaide’s dedicated facility for people with an infection, while three of his family members have been moved to a quarantine hotel and will be required to complete a further two weeks in isolation.
As well as the new case, SA has also picked up two more infections in returned travellers.
Three people remain in hospital, including a man in his 70s who has been admitted to intensive care but is not on a ventilator. His condition is listed as serious but stable.
Premier Steven Marshall said the new case in the local cluster was a concern but the fact that they were in quarantine was also a “massive relief”.
The outbreak prompted a week-long lockdown across South Australia last month to help authorities bring it under control.
QUEENSLAND RECORDS 17 NEW LOCAL CASES
Queensland has recorded 17 new locally-acquired COVID-19 cases, taking the west Brisbane Delta cluster to 63 cases with another unlinked case emerging in the state’s far north.
The cases were picked up after a recorded 51,479 tests in the 24 hours to Tuesday morning and are all linked to existing cases.
Deputy Premier Steven Miles says the outbreak, which has led to a lockdown of the state’s southeast until at least Sunday, has more cases than any previous coronavirus outbreak in Queensland.
“This has become our biggest outbreak since the first wave last year,” he told reporters on Wednesday.
Four cases are linked to the Ironside State School, two are linked to Indooroopilly State High School, one is linked to Brisbane Boys Grammar and nine cases are close contacts or family members.
Another new Delta case in Cairns, first reported on Tuesday, is not genomically linked to Brisbane cluster.
The case is a reef pilot who is fully vaccinated with Pfizer and he’s believed to have become infected from a ship off the coast.
Almost 10,000 people are in home or hotel quarantine, and two new cases recorded on Wednesday were not in the community for any point of their infectious period.
Chief Health Health Officer Jeannette Young said the aim of the lockdown is not to eradicate the cluster but to ensure any new cases were in quarantine for their entire infectious period.
“It doesn’t matter (if) we’ve had those cases because they’re in quarantine, so it won’t stop us lifting the restrictions on Sunday,” she said.
“So please, everyone just think of what you can do in the next few days so we can lift this and we can beat all their predictions about how long it takes to get such a large cluster under control.”
Police issued 48 penalty infringement notices on Tuesday, including 34 for being out in the community during lockdown without a valid reason.
Mr Miles urged people to stay home unless they absolutely need to for essential shopping or health care.
“We just urge everyone to really, just for a few more days, we hope, do the right thing,” he said.
“Five more days, do the right thing, and then next week you can buy all the sun lounges you think you need.”
VICTORIA RECORDS NO NEW CASES FOR FIRST TIME SINCE LOCKDOWN
Victoria reported no new cases of COVID-19 - its first clean sheet since the state’s lockdown-inducing Delta outbreak.
The health department confirmed no new local or overseas acquired cases had been detected in the 24 hours to Wednesday morning.
It’s the first day since July 12 that the state has not posted a new local case of coronavirus.
Active cases continue to fall, dropping from 124 to 99.
More than 30,000 test results were received over the past 24 hours, while about 17,600 vaccine doses were administered at state-run sites.
It comes after it was revealed none of the 10 people currently hospitalised in Victoria were fully vaccinated.
Statistics, obtained by AAP, show two of those cases were partially vaccinated before their admission to hospital.
Five patients were eligible but had not received their first dose, two were ineligible as they were under 40 years, and one was an unvaccinated returned traveller in hotel quarantine.
Of the two partially vaccinated people, one was in their 50s and the other 70 years and over.
VICTORIAN-NSW BORDER BUBBLE TIGHTENED
Meanwhile, the Victorian-NSW border bubble tightened for residents from 11.59pm on Tuesday, banning non-essential movement across state lines.
Border bubble residents are now only able to state-hop for six reasons including medical care, compassionate purposes, work, education, playing sport or getting vaccinated.
In another change taking effect in Victoria from Wednesday, group booking limits have been scrapped for hospitality venues, tours and gyms but density limits remain.
On the back of the state’s third day without a “wild” case, Chief Health Officer Sutton said authorities would consider removing a ban on home visits at the end of the current two-week restrictions on August 10.
“We’ll have a long tail to this outbreak,” he said on Tuesday.
“There might be a week or more of a trickle of cases and we need to make sure we can clear those remaining 3000 primary close contacts, and make sure no one has been out in the community during their potentially infectious period that might kick this off again.”
- With AAP
NSW - 233 new local cases, two deaths
VIC - zero new local cases
QLD - 17 new local cases
WA - TBA
SA - one new local case
TAS - TBA
ACT - TBA
NT - TBA
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails