Ellenbrook house fire: Home gutted by fire after fuel spill

Headshot of Kate Purnell
Kate PurnellThe West Australian
VideoFootage has emerged of a shocking house fire in Ellenbrook on Saturday evening.

Part of an Ellenbrook home has been gutted by fire after a blaze tore through the house on Saturday evening.

The house on Rennex Ramble was engulfed by flames, which neighbours said stretched several metres high.

The fire was started after fuel was spilt while one of the residents was repairing their car in the garage.

The resident said the fuel spillage caught alight and was initially a very small flame.

VISION OF THE FIRE CAN BE SEEN IN THE PLAYER ABOVE

He ran inside to grab a blanket to put the flames out, but by the time he returned the fire had erupted.

“The flame caught onto a cable and started spreading like wildfire through the house,” he said.

A house was engulfed by fire in Ellenbrook Saturday evening. Jackson Flindell
Camera IconA house was engulfed by fire in Ellenbrook Saturday evening. Jackson Flindell Credit: Jackson Flindell/The West Australian

The destructive flames caused severe damage to at least half of the four-bedroom home.

Department of Fire and Emergency services personnel estimated the damage to be worth about $300,000.

The impacted home is owned by mother Adut Deng and her four children. They were all home during the frightening ordeal, as well as extended family members.

Fortunately, no one was hospitalised or seriously injured during the incident.

Neighbours said they were alerted to the blaze after hearing screams across the road as the family tried to evacuate.

“I was watching the footy on TV when I heard a woman screaming, I looked out of the window and saw these huge flames,” one neighbour, who asked not to be named, said.

“We ran outside straightaway to try and help, we made sure we got them to the other side of the road.

“I knew the fire was started by the car and we were worried it might blow up.”

Several neighbours tried to help combat the blaze with their garden hoses while they waited for fire fighters to arrive.

A resident of the gutted house said luckily some belongings were able to be salvaged, however they believed the home could not be recovered.

“We’ve lived here for eight years, I can’t believe this has happened. I don’t think we’ll be able to recover the house,” he said.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails