Road rage attack accused Bill Kontogeorgis claims he was victim

Caroline SchelleNCA NewsWire
Not Supplied
Camera IconNot Supplied Credit: Channel 7

A Melbourne man who was caught on camera allegedly trying to run down his estranged wife and attacking another man with a knife argued there is more to the story, a court has been told.

Bill Kontogeorgis is charged with intentionally causing injury, unlawful assault, careless driving and threats to kill among a host of charges and faced the Supreme Court of Victoria for a bail application on Tuesday.

The 59-year-old is accused of ramming a car his estranged wife and another man were inside of on Ballarat Rd at Deer Park in November last year.

During the hearing, defence lawyer Paul Kounnas argued his client should be released on bail and said there was more to the story.

The alleged attack was filmed, with passers-by calling Triple 0. 7NEWS
Camera IconThe alleged attack was filmed, with passers-by calling Triple 0. 7NEWS Credit: Channel 7

He said his client’s estranged wife attacked Mr Kontogeorgis with a shovel and “violently beat” him with it.

The judge hearing the case questioned why three grown adults were acting in this way.

“He’s too old to be engaging in the sort of conduct,” Justice John Champion said.

“What on earth is this sort of behaviour going on between these people?” he asked.

Mr Kontogeorgis was put in hospital after the attack, along with the other man.

His lawyer said his alleged actions were not good in “anyway shape or form” but the footage showed the “exceptionally violent” way the alleged victims acted.

The lawyer for Mr Kontogeorgis said his estranged wife attacked Mr Kontogeorgis with a shovel and ‘violently beat’ him with it. 7NEWS
Camera IconThe lawyer for Mr Kontogeorgis said his estranged wife attacked Mr Kontogeorgis with a shovel and ‘violently beat’ him with it. 7NEWS Credit: Channel 7

“[He] was not the instigator of the … the road rage incident,” Mr Kounnas said.

Instead, he said he was stuck in his car and trying to “defend himself” with the knife, the lawyer said.

But police allege Mr Kontogeorgis stabbed his former partner’s new beau with the knife six times as the man tried to hold the door closed.

Prosecutors argued he should remain behind bars because he may be at risk of committing further offences and endangering the safety of the public and the welfare of victims, including his former wife.

Justice Champion will hand down his decision next week.

Originally published as Road rage attack accused Bill Kontogeorgis claims he was victim

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails