Magpies likely to end De Goey suspension

Steve Larkin and Oliver CaffreyAAP
The US court case involving Jordan De Goey could be resolved with a plea deal.
Camera IconThe US court case involving Jordan De Goey could be resolved with a plea deal. Credit: AAP

AFL star Jordan De Goey will reportedly be welcomed back at Collingwood, ending a three-month exile from the Magpies following his run-in with the law in New York.

The electric utility's promising career has been hanging in the balance since being charged after an alleged altercation at a Manhattan bar on October 30 last year.

But De Goey will likely be offered a plea deal which downgrades his charges.

The 25-year-old on Wednesday appeared, via video link from Melbourne, in a US court on assault charges.

Now the legal process is coming to a close, Collingwood are likely to grant the troubled former first-round draft pick one final chance, according to a Seven Network report.

De Goey has previously pleaded not guilty and the assault charges will now likely be downgraded to harassment.

On Wednesday, prosecutor Brendan Mahon told the court "the people are likely" to make a conditional offer of a plea deal for a harassment in the second degree assault charge.

De Goey's lawyer Jacob Kaplan told the court he needed more time to find a counselling program in Australia for the AFL player to participate in as part of any plea deal agreement.

Judge Anna Swern adjourned the case until January 28.

De Goey was stood down by Collingwood immediately after being charged by police but could be back training at the club under new coach Craig McRae by the end of the month.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails