Home

South Sydney Rabbitohs recruit Anthony Milford’s playing contract not registered by NRL amid assault charges

Headshot of Catherine Healey
Catherine HealeyThe West Australian
Email Catherine Healey
Anthony Milford’s dramatic fall from grace has continued.
Camera IconAnthony Milford’s dramatic fall from grace has continued. Credit: News Corp Australia

Fallen half Anthony Milford will not be able to play for South Sydney next season after the NRL blocked his contract registration.

In a statement, the NRL said it would await the outcome of Milford’s court proceedings before he could return to the game with the Rabbitohs.

The 27-year-old is charged with three counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm over an alleged incident on September 19.

Police will allege Milford assaulted three bystanders — two women and a 19-year-old man who tried to break up a dispute between Milford and his wife Miri.

It is further alleged Milford threw a wheelie bin at a car during the ordeal.

Anthony Milford.
Camera IconAnthony Milford won't able to join South Sydney until assault allegations are dealt with. Credit: AAP

Milford made his first appearance in a Brisbane court last month, where his lawyer indicated he would fight some of the charges.

Tuesday’s decision not to register Milford’s NRL contract concludes a dramatic fall from grace for the one-time Brisbane prodigy.

Milford became the highest paid player in Broncos history, raking in $1 million per season.

But his form waned throughout that deal and the 27-year-old managed just nine games this season under new coach Kevin Walters, spending time instead in reserve grade, before he and the club went their separate ways.

Anthony Milford will not have his playing contract with South Sydney registered.
Camera IconAnthony Milford will not have his playing contract with South Sydney registered. Credit: Supplied

Milford had signed a one-year deal with Souths for season 2022, for a reported $350,000.

But that contract will remain blocked.

“Given the severity of the allegations, particularly that two charges allege violence against women, the NRL will not consider an application for registration until the court process is complete,” the NRL said in a statement.

The Rabbitohs said they “respected” and “supported” the decision in regards to Milford’s playing future.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails